SUNY-ESF

SUNY-ESF student killed after shooting in home alongside family Monday

Corey Henry | Senior Staff Photographer

Students can call 315-470-6660 for SUNY-ESF counseling services. Students can also go to 110 Bray Hall from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to access in-person services.

SUNY-ESF student Troy Eames was killed in a shooting on Monday, SUNY-ESF President Joanie Mahoney confirmed in an email Tuesday afternoon.

Troy Eames was shot along with his father, Onondaga County Deputy Isaac Eames, and his mother, Karen Eames, at their home in the town of Clay. Following the shooting, Isaac Eames was found dead and Karen Eames was last reported as being in critical condition. Troy Eames was taken to Upstate University Hospital and later died, NBC News reported.

“This is an incredibly distressing situation and our hearts go out to Troy’s family and friends,” Mahoney wrote in the email.

In the email, Mahoney provided resources to support students and staff members at Syracuse University and SUNY-ESF.

Mahoney wrote that if a student is in a crisis and needs to speak with a professional immediately, they can call 315-470-4716 to work with a counselor.

Mahoney said faculty and staff can contact Employee Assistance Program Coordinator Nan Clark at 315-470-6689 or 315-470-6847. Clark can also be contacted over email at nfclark@esf.edu.

Hendricks Chapel can also be reached at 315-443-2901, Mahoney wrote.

“Losing a member of our community is extremely difficult,” she said, “and we all grieve in different ways.”

This post will be updated with additional reporting