Former Syracuse forward Woody Newton transfers to Oklahoma State

Courtesy of Duke Athletics

Woody Newton is transferring to Oklahoma State after his freshman year at Syracuse.

Subscribe to our sports newsletter here

Woody Newton is going to be a Cowboy. 

Newton, the former Syracuse forward who played sparingly this season, announced Friday that he’s transferring to Oklahoma State. The 6-foot-8 freshman appeared in 11 games for SU but impressed with a smooth shooting stroke. 

From Baltimore, Newton became a three-star high school prospect at Mt. Zion Prep. He chose the Orange over offers from Georgetown, Cincinnati, Arkansas and Kansas State. Now, he’ll join the Big 12.

Newton impressed early in the season by scoring nine points against Niagara, Rider and Boston College. He shot 38.9% from 3 through 11 total games. 

Some fans called for Newton to get more playing time during the season, though Syracuse’s frontcourt depth — Alan Griffin, Quincy Guerrier and Robert Braswell — prevented that from materializing. He decided to transfer out of the program despite Braswell entering the transfer portal and the former two testing the NBA Draft waters. 

Oklahoma State will lose expected first-overall pick Cade Cunningham, who led the Cowboys to a four-seed in the 2021 NCAA Tournament, where they lost to Oregon State. OSU head coach Mike Boynton Jr., who’s been in Stillwater since 2017, signed a seven-year contract extension in late March. 

Newton played 87 total minutes for SU for an average of 7.9 per game. His role will likely increase with the Cowboys next season, who will be without Cunningham and potentially starting guard Avery Anderson III (NBA Draft).