Guest Column

Dana Balter positioned as the candidate to make real change

Lauren Miller | Staff Photographer

Dana Balter meets with community members in a 2018 file photo.

Many say that it is more important than ever to vote in this upcoming November election. I fully agree. When casting your vote, you should do so with purpose and know that your vote could truly create a much-needed positive change.

As college students, we’re trying to focus on schoolwork during a deadly pandemic, massive economic recession and a racial justice crisis. Life can feel overwhelming and like we have no control, but there is one thing we do have control over, and that’s our vote in this upcoming election. This is the most important election of our lifetimes.

As young people, we have the power to affect positive change. In this election, we need leaders who truly care about their constituents. We need leaders who are ready to pull their sleeves up and fix the damage caused by past politicians.

In New York’s 24th Congressional District, Dana Balter is fighting to unseat incumbent Rep. John Katko (R-Camillus) — another Washington Republican who proudly aligns with a failed presidency. Katko does not fight for the middle-class families of central New York. His loyalty is to special interest groups, and his desire to provide massive tax breaks to large corporations doesn’t help the working families of New York, as his votes to pass various bills would require cuts to many benefits utilized by our neighbors today.

Balter is a light at the end of the long and unpredictable tunnel of 2020. She voices her concerns for the people in this district and promises that she will do everything in her power to fight for the needs of her constituents. Her fresh insight and incredible passion for this position are what central New Yorkers need. Balter has been endorsed by both former President Barack Obama and former Vice President Joe Biden, among many others.

Sign up for The Daily Orange Newsletter

*
* indicates required

“New Yorkers face a choice between Balter — an advocate for working families — and Rep. John Katko, who supports President Trump’s attempts to overturn the Affordable Care Act,” Biden said in a statement.

Balter will tirelessly advocate for her constituents because she has a first-hand understanding of the hardships of living paycheck to paycheck. She is committed to ensuring affordable and accessible health care for everyone because she knows the struggle of finding coverage with a pre-existing condition. She knows that, without adequate health care coverage, many of us are just one illness away from poverty.

As a college student, I can personally understand how easy it is to ignore what is going on around you politically. It can feel like you are stuck in a bubble, but this is bigger than your college community. It is never too early for political knowledge and awareness because your vote can have implications in so many areas of your life now and in the future.

I am fortunate to have health care coverage under my parents’ plans, but what about post-graduation? I do not own a large corporation, so how does electing a politician who is simply a rubber stamp for a president’s careless policies do any good for me?

These are all things that we should consider when we vote this November, and I certainly do urge you to vote! Currently, we have little control over many circumstances, but we can control our decision to vote.

Young people have the power to sway this election. Turnout of 18 to 35-year-olds could really alter the uncertain outcome of the vote and make it decisive. And when you do vote, know that you are voting for the change you want to see, the change we need to see.

Emma Ellis, ‘22