SU Athletics

D.O. Sports’ 10 best-written stories of fall 2018

Paul Schlesinger | Staff Photographer

Alton Robinson faced up to 20 years in prison. He's now one of SU's top pass rushers.

Part of The Daily Orange’s coverage of Syracuse Athletics — and more — this fall is the numerous features written by our staff. With the fall semester done, we compiled a list of our 10 best-written stories from the past five months. In this list are stories about Jalen Carey’s New York City upbringing, Alton Robinson’s path to Syracuse and the tale of sports agent David Falk and how he revolutionized an industry.

Read the whole list below.

AN HONEST LIVING: How David Falk revolutionized the sports agent industry

a1_web_laurenmiller_asst-video

Lauren Miller | Asst. Video Editor

One of professional sports’ landmark agents knows what some outsiders think of him. David Falk doesn’t regret any of it. In an industry known for empty promises and deceit, he’s risen to the top.

‘DREAM COME TRUE’: How Buddy Boeheim carried out his lifelong goal of playing for Syracuse

boeheim_dom

Josh Shub-Selzter | Staff Photographer

Buddy Boeheim, the son of Hall of Fame Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim, has been an SU fan as long as he can remember. The team he admired for 18 years trained him all the while. This season, Buddy has carried out his dream of playing for Syracuse.

REDEMPTION: Alton Robinson faced up to 20 years in prison on a robbery charge. Now, he’s gearing up for a season leading the Orange’s defense.

schlesinger_football_082118_301

Paul Schlesinger | Staff Photographer

When Alton Robinson arrived on the Syracuse University campus during August 2017, there was no guarantee that he would ever step foot in the Carrier Dome to play football. Now, he’s led SU’s defensive line in a historic season.

HOMEGROWN: Jalen Carey, his father and the plan they’ve always had

carey_dom

Josh Shub-Selzter | Staff Photographer

Syracuse 43-year head coach Jim Boeheim described Jalen Carey as one of the best offensive guards he’s had in 20 years, citing his quickness, anticipation and feel for the game. As Carey embarks on his career at SU, he remembers Harlem.

Ryan Raposo’s family background fuels his passion on the field

101618_msocvbunnies_maxfreund_ape-12

Max Freund | Asst. Photo Editor

Ryan Raposo, now an all-conference freshman forward at Syracuse, experienced little stoppage in his career. He said he’s the most competitive person he’s ever met, and that confidence is a result of his upbringing.

Leonid Yelin’s coaching style is driven by his relentless intensity

a1_dominant_tjshaw_sp

TJ Shaw | Staff Photographer

Success traveled with Leonid Yelin from the Soviet Union to Barry University in Florida. Syracuse is his “final destination” in a 50-year career that’s totaled almost 700 wins. The price of Yelin’s greatness manifests in the perceptions players have of him.

How Allie Munroe’s emphasis on past failures fuels her success

a1_web_alexandramoreo_ssp

Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff Photographer

Allie Munroe has had far more successes than failures in her hockey career, one filled with individual and team accolades. As a captain for the Orange, she is still looking for SU’s elusive first-ever College Hockey America conference championship.

‘It’s an addiction,’ The anatomy of SU football’s scalping market

untitled_artwork-12

Sarah Allam | Illustration Editor

In Syracuse, ticket scalpers are a game day staple. They’re situated around campus from the tailgates in the Stadium Lot to the bus stop at College Place. On any game day, fans can walk by and partake in an underground economy that’s figuring out how to turn a profit.

See how women in sports broadcasting are inspiring younger generations

untitled_artwork1

Sarah Allam | Illustration Editor

A 2016 statista.com study showed the gender distribution of journalists among different news topics in the United States. Sports topped the chart, as 89 percent are men and 11 percent are women. Women are fighting the numbers.

How a few kickboxing lessons redefined Kendall Coleman’s pass rush

a1_paulschlesinger_sp

Paul Schlesinger | Staff Photographer

After 1.5 sacks in his first 20 games at Syracuse, Kendall Coleman focused on his pass rush this offseason. Everything came together 643 miles from the SU campus during a family bonding session, where Nikki, Coleman’s mother, introduced her 6-foot-3, 266-pound pass rusher to kickboxing.