Alexis Peterson drafted by the Seattle Storm with the 15th pick in the 2017 WNBA Draft

Evan Jenkins | Staff Photographer

Alexis Peterson will be headed to Seattle, where she'll get to play with former Connecticut standout and last year's No. 1 overall pick, Breanna Stewart.

Alexis Peterson was selected by the Seattle Storm in the second round (15th overall pick) on Thursday night.

The former Syracuse guard was the second Syracuse player drafted, joining Brittney Sykes. It’s the first time in SU program history that more than one player has been selected in the same draft.

Peterson averaged 14.8 points and 4.4 assists over her career. This past year she averaged 23.4 points and seven assists on her way to being named the Atlantic Coast Conference Player of the Year, leading the conference in points and finishing second in assists. She finished her career first in assists and second in scoring in the SU record books.

During her junior year, Peterson was the leader in Syracuse’s best team in program history, culminating in an appearance in the national championship game.

“That’s problem number one,” Connecticut head coach Geno Auriemma said about Peterson, “when somebody has the ball in her hands all the time and you know they’re gonna take a lot of shots. Because that means somebody’s really hard to guard.”

“Peterson’s come a long way,” Notre Dame Hall of Fame coach Muffet McGraw said after UND’s 85-80 win in February. “She might be the most improved player in the league.”